The Chicken Diaries: Part 1

My name is Lynnette, my almost-husband's name is Jake, and we love chickens.

I didn't always love chickens. In fact, they scared for me for quite some time. Actually, they still scare me. But when you get past their little beak and weirdo feet, they're pretty sweet and also a little bit cute. Jake has probably always loved chickens, so that's one of the reasons we're getting married.

When we found out we are living in one of Amanda and Kyle's properties where there is a chicken coop, one of the first things we asked (not about the size of the house, the carpet, the shower or anything) was if we could use the chicken coop. Of course they said yes -- something we are SO thrilled about.

We decided that we'll have chickens instead of children for the first little bit of our marriage, and that'll be about the same. I tell Jake that I'm going to snuggle our chickens, give them each a hug and a kiss good night, and that we are going to be the best chicken-parents in the whole world.

Jake's the more realistic part of this parenting chickens thing. He's like, "Okay, we'll have to open the fence here so we can get in and out easily to feed the chickens and collect the eggs." And I'm like, "I think Piper will be a really cute name for one of the chickens! What do you think?" And he's all, "We'll have to get chickens that are about the same age, but if we want to get three older girls in January and then chicks in April, I know how to make them get accustomed to each other." And again I say, "I can't wait to have toddlers running around!"

Our house may be a little teeny thing, but at least we'll be married... and AT LEAST we'll have beautiful chickens.

Stay tuned for the rest of The Chicken Diaries, you won't want to miss them.

No comments