I loved having a summer baby so much, we did it again!
Expecting another little girl in the summer of 2023 was very exciting. It was a really hard pregnancy due to an umbilical hernia. This caused extra nausea and discomfort throughout the pregnancy, and ultimately, it knocked me out more than I anticipated!
Aside from the hernia pain, I had a really enjoyable pregnancy with our little girl (Brynn). There was a 25 month age gap between Eden and Brynn, our largest gap yet! Once we hit Eden's second birthday, the countdown was on. I was still working in the flower field as much as I ever was, if not more, which I think helps to have a quick and *easy* labor.
My due date was 7/11/2023. I liked to joke about the date because I love 7/11 slurpees so much. The kids and I had a last hurrah of all the things before we welcomed baby: Downtown Cincinnati family day at Smale Park, the Fourth of July (walking a mile to the parade at exactly 39 weeks pregnant), pizza night, swimming, all of the things.
I always assume, based on my history, that the baby will come at some point in the 39th week. We went to church on Sunday, July 9th, and it was a completely normal day! I felt good, we visited with Megan and Taylor after, and then we had a regular evening at the farm. I remember taking a ride on the gator to the farm and having a contraction that felt different (not a braxton hicks contraction). I took a little video of me and the kids on the gator because I had a feeling that it was coming.
The rest of the evening was normal, walking around the farm with Eden and picking blueberries while the other kids played. We had a really delicious dinner! I was having contractions every 20-30 minutes, if I remember correctly.
We went home and went to bed and I figured they would wake me up at some point... And yes, they did. Around 3 AM, I got out of bed to track them and see how I could handle them. We were still living with Brent, so when we were finally ready to go, we just let him know that we were leaving (such a blessing to not have to move children or wait for someone to come to the house)! My contractions had gotten to every 5 minutes apart and were getting stronger. Jake couldn't find his car keys so he had to run to the farm to ask to borrow his mom's car so we could leave the van for the kids. I remember sitting on the couch with my legs crossed because I didn't want anything to happen while he was gone. I was really calm at this point, Brent was talking to me and telling me that it was exciting we were leaving to have the baby!
We got in the car and called to let them know we were on the way around 4:30 or 5 in the morning. I wish I could remember how dilated and effaced I was when we walked in and went through triage, but I don't. I remember laying down in the bed when we got into our room and managing the contractions just OK, but things were getting intense. Another mom was using the laughing gas and I had decided I'd ask for an epidural when the nurse came back. I wasn't in the right mindset to have an unmedicated labor.
I also remember thinking how boring the morning was -- from intenese, drive fast! -- to relaxing on the bed and refusing to stand up. Right as the nurse came to our room (when I was going to tell her I'd like the epidural), she let me know that the laughing gas was available. Jake told me I should just try it for a few contractions and if I didn't love it, I'd ge the epidural.
My friend and photographer Abby showed up during this time! I was so grateful for her coming and taking photos and videos for us.
I stood up when I got access to the laughing gas and very similarly to Eden's birth story, I felt her drop into place and started pushing pretty soon after that. They let me know that my doctor was in clinic and offered to have the midwife, Jenn Boyers, deliver me. I told them I'd actually prefer to have Jenn with me, so I felt pretty lucky! Jenn came to my side and even bent down as I was pushing standing up. I was more comfortable laying down after a few times feeling pushy while standing. In a few more intense contractions, she was here! A sweet, crying baby girl who nursed immediately and was so beautiful.
Being in the hospital room with a fresh newborn are the most magical, peaceful moments. Recovery for the both of us went well. When I was home the next day, I took her to the flower garden for just half an hour and cut some flowers. We rested, nursed, and enjoyed our time together before getting back into the craziness of having 4 kids.
Brynn Catherine Blackwelder
July 10, 2023 8 lbs 12 oz
No comments